Director of Platform Engineering
Posted on: January 15, 2022
The Platform Engineering Director is accountable for establishing
and leading Platform Engineering & Platform Operations Automation
efforts. This role implements key enablers to increase the
efficiency of change and innovation to ensure that the platform can
scale rapidly to support growth. The expectation would be for the
leader in this role to collaborate with internal & external
technology stakeholders to build a culture of operations excellence
incorporating Dev Ops industry best practices. This role builds
Platform operational capabilities to consistently deliver value-add
data solutions while optimizing cloud costs that are commensurate
to value delivered. The expectation is that the capabilities being
delivered also include platform service automation, exception based
monitoring & alerting, CI / CD optimizations for data pipelines,
automated templatized deployments, and data model performance
tuning upgrades that increase resource usage efficiencies.
Primary function of this role includes:
- Leading the design and implementation of platform technologies
to support applications, creating a set of measures to ensure
quality and control of engineering capability and performance
- Reducing/removing bottlenecks in the platform ecosystem and
building run ops transitioning capabilities for smooth transition
to steady state.
- Contributing to the design, build and operational management of
a highly scalable, and available platform
- Partnering closely with Global Security to ensure platform is
secure against new and emerging threats.Job Responsibilities
- Leads the design and implementation of technologies to support
- Partners cross-functionally across the organization and closely
where and when needed.
- Oversees and manages product vendors, platform vendor licensing
and pay-per-use contracts and delivery of SLAs.
- Advises management in developing processes, policies, and
procedures. Implements effective engineering methods and provides
technical guidance and acts as a resource for engineers.
- Ensures components, materials, and tools are used to capacity.
Experience and Education: Has extensive experience with the
concepts and principles of one or more related fields or
departments. Leads and directs the work of other employees and has
responsibility for personnel actions including hiring, performance
management, and termination. Supervision is often provided through
a team of subordinate managers. Typically requires a bachelor's
degree and at least 10 years of experience, including some prior
management experience. Reports to: Typically reports to an
executive. Competencies: Leadership skills. Ability to foster
teamwork. Oral and written communication skills. Ability to
identify and seek needed information/research skills. Technical
- Works with key stakeholders to formulate a comprehensive
technology plan that is consistent with the overall business
objectives and budgetary considerations.
- Applies broad knowledge of capabilities and environment to
identify new growth areas, new technology and emerging
opportunities. Conducts technological research by studying
organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects.
Recommends information technology strategies, policies, and
procedures by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying
problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Implements policies and defines approach to strategy
achievement. Analyzes long-term impact of new or anticipated
strategies and decisions.
- Manages budgets, operational plans and performance requirements
for the specified area of responsibility. Responsible for meeting
budgetary goals and objectives.
- Contributes to strategic planning, direction, and goal setting
for the department or function in collaboration with senior
management. Establishes departmental policies, practices, and
procedures that have a significant impact on the organization.
Facilitates communication between staff, management, vendors, and
other technology resources within and outside of the organization.
Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise.
Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives.
Interacts with direct reports and peers in management / customers /
vendors to interpret information and improve cross-functional
processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and
external contactsAn Equal Opportunity Employer, including
About Walgreens Boots Alliance
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is a global leader in retail
pharmacy, impacting millions of lives every day through dispensing
medicines, and providing accessible, high-quality care. With more
than 170 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation in
community pharmacy, the company is meeting customers' and patients'
needs through its convenient retail locations, digital platforms
and health and beauty products.
Including equity method investments, WBA has a presence in more
than 25 countries, employs more than 450,000 people and has more
than 21,000 stores.
WBA's purpose is to help people across the world lead healthier and
happier lives. The company is proud of its contributions to healthy
communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a
sustainable marketplace. WBA is a participant of the United Nations
Global Compact and adheres to its principles-based approach to
WBA is included in FORTUNE's 2021 list of the World's Most Admired
Companies*. This is the 28th consecutive year that WBA or its
predecessor company, Walgreen Co., has been named to the list.
More company information is available at
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 8 years OR High School/GED and
at least 11 years of experience with Cloud Engineering, and/or
- Experience with data management, advanced analytics and/or
- Experience with core data analytics tools and concepts, such as
data warehouses, data lakes, data streaming, extract-transform-load
(ETL), data integration, dashboards, etc.
- Knowledge of analytical methods, data science methods, machine
learning and AI
- Experience with vendor and vendor contract management,
including SLA review.
- Experience interacting at the executive level.
- At least 5 years of experience contributing to financial
decisions in the workplace.
- At least 5 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership
and/or cross-functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes
(domestically and/or internationally).
- Bachelor's degree in IT, IS, Mathematics
- Master's degree OR MBA
- At least 5 years of program management experience in advanced
analytics or business intelligence and/or technology
- Experience partnering with security to ensure platform is
secured and regulatory compliant.
- Experience establishing & maintaining relationships with
individuals at all levels of the organization, in the business
community & with vendors.
- Experience diagnosing, isolating, and resolving complex issues
and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and
implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience managing cross-functional and/or matrix teams.
- Experience with platform architecture that is cloud
Keywords: WALGREENS, Bellevue , Director of Platform Engineering, Engineering , Bellevue, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!