Director of Security
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: January 11, 2022
The Regional Security Leader is an accomplished and visionary
leader and security subject matter expert with demonstrated success
leading and managing all facets of a large and comprehensive
security program. The Director delivers expertise and coherence
across their assigned region while ensuring consistent and
repeatable service delivery, effective integration, alignment, and
unity of effort between frontline, area, regional, and national
levels of Kaiser Permanente to establish and maintain a strong and
adaptive security posture that aligns with organizational risk
tolerance and business strategies. Responsibilities include
directing and managing geographically-dispersed security teams to
safeguard people, property, assets, and interests in support of the
core business of providing high-quality and affordable health care.
Facilities within the scope of responsibility (generally numbering
between 125-400) may include a wide variety of caregiving settings
-- hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, medical office
buildings, clinics, et al -- and other sites which could include
pharmacies, administrative office buildings, data centers, and
other types of facilities. The Regional Security Leader will be a
single-source security subject matter expert for their region who
provides security solutions, alternatives, and recommendations
across the full spectrum of the service line, to include (but not
limited to) threat management/preventing workplace violence, access
control, technology integration, risk-based staffing, training,
contract management, policy-development, investigation & loss
prevention, incident reporting/critical notifications, analysis,
program measurement, continuous improvement, crime prevention, risk
assessment & mitigation, law enforcement liaison, special event
support, leader development, and governance. The well-qualified
candidate will have extensive experience effectively applying
security principles in complex and dynamic operational settings;
have well developed business acumen and competencies; be an
exceptional communicator; have a strong service orientation; and be
skilled at problem-solving, decision-making, Business Plan
development, and program execution to achieve desired outcomes. The
north star for this position is to mitigate reasonably foreseeable
risks for the ultimate purpose of providing a safe environment to
enable the delivery and receipt of high-quality health care.
- Provide direct and tailored security services to Regional,
Intermediate, and Frontline Leaders within the assigned geographic
area; deliver consistent and repeatable security services in
alignment with the National Program:
- Serve as a single-source security subject matter expert to
provide security solutions, alternatives, and recommendations
across the full spectrum of the service line.
- Tailor processes and procedures to mitigate the unique risks
posed to each entity within the region.
- Be immediately responsive to assigned Regional Leadership Team
and functional peers as a security/risk SME and Trusted Advisor to
- Provide incident-based, time-sensitive notifications to key
stakeholders per protocol.
- Monitor/measure key performance indicators daily; continuously
drive program/process improvements.
- Correlate data and information to arrive at higher-order
knowledge; create graphic representations which measure program
status and outcomes in all major areas; contribute to Executive
Dashboards at Regional and Area levels to facilitate effective
- Actively manage the threat environment to prevent or minimize
the effects of Workplace Violence.
- Actively manage threats and risks along the full spectrum of
workplace violence (inclusive of all types/sources); implement
workplace violence prevention programs to achieve compliance (in
states where legislated) and to achieve risk-mitigating
capabilities/effectiveness in all states of operation.
- Leads and sets the overall strategic direction, administration,
and implementation of the threat management program for any/all
facilities in assigned Region, to include hospitals, medical
centers, urgent care centers, outpatient facilities, administrative
office buildings, data centers, and unique practices that may not
be location-based (such as Home Care Services).
- Utilize the threat management reporting system to identify
incidents and trends for areas of actual or potential harm. Monitor
and manage threat management unusual occurrence reports and
incident reports. Collaborate with appropriate departments to
collect, analyze and trend data from multiple reporting
systems/sources to identify opportunities to improve threat
- Implement relevant and tailored measures to mitigate risks that
are identified through reporting, rounding, observation, and best
- In collaboration with the Regional Threat Management team and
leaders, identify opportunities to proactively intervene in threat
management situations. Coordinates follow up and responses to
threat incidents. Collaborates with various care delivery teams and
other departments to address and respond to workplace violence
incidents. Collaborates with Electronic Medical Record staff to
maintain standardized documentation processes. Functions as an
independent and objective body, evaluates, promotes, and rectifies
regional threat management safety issues/concerns. Upholds
team-based care communication and collaboration standards.
- Provide direction to managers in addressing issues related to
workplace violence and patient/family aggression that either
disrupts or has the potential to disrupt the caregiving environment
or which tangibly threatens the safety of KP members, staff,
physicians, or any person in a KP facility.
- Assist in operational assessments and intervention with
situations that pose a threat to the safety of the organization,
patients, members, visitors and staff.
- Offers consultative services and works with leadership and
threat management teams to develop and implement a plan for
communications, outreach and education to foster development of
comprehensive response plans.
- Ultimate focus: create a safe environment for the delivery and
receipt of high-quality health care.
- Deliver Core security solutions, alternatives, and
recommendations in support of Assigned Region across the full
spectrum of the security services:
- Create and adopt relevant policies, inclusive of providing
training and ensuring operational integration of policy
requirements; ensure policies are aligned with/supportive of other
Regional and KP National policies.
- Implement daily shift reviews, incident reporting, incident
inquiry, and use of analytical results to optimize security
staffing, technologies, and processes.
- Conduct and support investigations into allegations of criminal
acts, theft/property loss, assaults, workplace violence, and other
activities that disrupt or have the potential to disrupt the
delivery of health care and supporting operations.
- Provide crime prevention and education/awareness tailored to
varying populations within Regional units to reduce crime, reduce
loss, foster a positive culture of security, and improve employee
perceptions of safety.
- Maximize the effectiveness of access control technologies and
protocols by intelligent provisioning, de-provisioning,
self-audits, and quality control to appropriately enable access of
the right people to the right places at the right times for the
- Ensure security technology edge devices are placed in
accordance with Design Standards and Security Management Plans and
configured in operationally relevant and effective ways to mitigate
reasonably foreseeable risks and facilitate Event
- Actively manage the repair and maintenance of technical
security equipment to achieve a daily operational readiness rate of
> 99% to optimize KP's investment in end devices, to enable a
robust capability for event reconstruction, and to contribute to
more successful investigative outcomes.
- Ensure Facility Security Plans are current, relevant,
comprehensive, compliant, and operationally useful.
- Partner with key stakeholders to conduct Risk Assessments and
work aggressively to mitigate risks identified in assessment
- Accept responsibility from the Security Technology Integration
Project Management Team for the security dimensions of new
construction, expansion, and renovation projects during the
hand-off phases of pre-commissioning, commissioning, and project
- Effectively integrate security with organizational partners in
Risk, Safety, Compliance, Privacy, Human Resources, Information
Technology, Nursing, Facilities, and other critical functional
areas, to include membership in appropriate committees, workgroups,
huddles, and participation in recurring meetings and information
- Effectively manage security staffing (whether
contract/outsourced, proprietary, or a hybrid model) and other
vendor contracts; leverage national competencies and cross-regional
Best Practices; operate with high levels of employee engagement and
- Employ the KP National staffing model - tailored locally -- to
achieve a risk-rationalized staffing posture.
- Provide appropriate guidance, direction, mission-based skills
training, resources, and regular performance feedback to afford all
team members the maximum opportunity to be highly successful
- Employ a serving leadership approach to optimize performance
and employee engagement; remove barriers.
- Provide Leader Development to build the next generation of
security leader; create career paths for security leaders; operate
with an eye toward continuity and succession.
- Actively manage the performance of outsourced/contract security
partners using key performance indicators, progress against goals,
and performance relative to targets to drive continuous improvement
and operational excellence; ensure invoice accuracy; minimize
overtime; actively manage effective deployment.
- Effectively build zero-based, fully rationalized security
budgets that sit atop well-reasoned operational assumptions.
Monitor performance monthly and provide fact-based variance
explanations. Achieve budget targets while consistently delivering
quality and service in fulfillment of program expectations.
Identify, implement, and measure the effectiveness of specific
programs/initiatives which contribute to Affordability.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Bellevue , Director of Security, Executive , Bellevue, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!