Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Company: Pocket Gems
Posted on: May 6, 2021
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most
compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That's the
mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop
back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then,
we've grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155
million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we're
constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players
around the world and have generated over $1 billion in bookings. In
recent years, we've launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network
and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time
As our community of players continues to grow, we're committed to
building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and
in our games.
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer for the Data Infrastructure
team, you'll help support and optimize our data platform for
cross-functional teams and enable the company to make data-based
decisions. You'll also be responsible for some of our biggest
projects, like building APIs for internal teams to deliver
recommendations to millions of players in real-time.
NOTE: This role is welcome to be remote in California OR Washington
What We've Recently Accomplished
- We released the 3rd generation data pipeline for the company
which successfully reduced the latency from 24hrs to
- We migrated all our infrastructure configurations to the IAC
system using tools like Ansible, Terraform, Alembic, Vagrant, and
- We released a new unified logging system for our R&D teams
to start logging within minutes using any client library of their
- After doing extensive benchmarking on several data warehousing
solutions, we redid all our pipelines and migrated petabytes+ of
data from Amazon Redshift to Google BigQuery.
What You'll Help Us To Accomplish
- Help build out:
- A scalable infrastructure and web tools to support data
analysis and visualization for the company and influence what we
build for our games' players (including BI Tools, A/B Testing
Tools, Crash Reporting Systems)
- The next generation of microservices for Pocket Gems game
- Assist in improving:
- Our data pipeline by implementing flexible, reusable and
- Our unified logging system for R&D teams to support
unstructured data and BI insights.
- Our data warehouse performance
- Handle petabytes of data storage and improve the performance of
the system to process complex queries for analyzing
- Work effectively with multiple teams and functions to boost
developer productivity across the organization
- Mentor junior engineers and push for excellence with
high-quality code and design reviews
What You Bring To The Team
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience (including 3+
years backend experience)
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or relevant
- Experience leading complex projects, preferably involving
- Deep experience with AWS, GCP, or Hadoop, and related backend
technologies is a plus (or an advanced private cloud, e.g. Google,
- Strong skills in data structures, algorithms, software design,
- Love working cross-functionally and provide reliable tool, data
and as well as creative, highly technical solutions to their
Extra Gems For
- Experience in working on dev-ops and/or infrastructure
- Experience in working on ETL (data pipeline) systems
- A love for games!
Read more about what we've been up to!
- Pocket Gems Blog
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality,
inclusivity, and accountability. While we believe we offer
competitive perks, such as annual bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k
matching, and a generous benefits package, we hope to engage with
talent based on our core values.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not
discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national
origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic
information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will
consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
Keywords: Pocket Gems, Bellevue , Senior Software Engineer, Backend, IT / Software / Systems , Bellevue, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!