Senior Software Engineer, Ocean
Posted on: January 12, 2022
Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make
global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems
on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry
that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
The Ocean engineering group is responsible for creating products
and workflows that enable us to effectively plan which ships to
move our clients' containers on. We work closely with our product,
business and data teams to solve complex optimization problems
around container utilization and route planning to make sure we are
able to fulfill the promised transit times while utilizing our
High-quality software development is integral in allowing us to
fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At
Flexport youll develop systems that are at the forefront of
reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to
distill complex business problems into elegant technical
- Take point on complex product initiatives and run them to
completion with minimal supervision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others code with
an eye to performance and maintainability.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the
vision and roadmap
- Work closely with designers and product managers to distill
complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code
into production multiple times a day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You Should Have
- 5+ years of experience writing software and strong engineering
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and
hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to
business partners, product managers, designers, and engineers
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all
aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best
practices for full software development life cycle, including
coding standards, code reviews, source control management,
continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical
field, or equivalent experience.
- A desire to develop your tooling repertoire. We are
tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is
- Optional: experience in Ruby, Rails, Java, PostgreSQL, GraphQL,
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github.
On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of
data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the
backend, were in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails
app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other
languages, such as Java, Kotlin and Python. Our data is persisted
in Postgres, Mongo and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using
Keywords: Flexport, Bellevue , Senior Software Engineer, Ocean, IT / Software / Systems , Bellevue, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!