Distributed Energy Resource Planner
Company: Puget Sound Energy
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with
like-minded, top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly
growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to
an exciting and innovative future is now.
PSE's Planning team is looking for qualified candidates to fill
an open Distributed Energy Resource Planner position!
This Distributed Energy Resource (DER) Planner role willfocus on
analyzing non-wire alternatives to address transmission and
distribution system capacity and reliability needs. Non-wire
alternatives include DERsuch as Distribution-sited Energy Storage,
Solar PV, Renewable Energy, Demand Response, Combined Heat & Power,
Energy Efficiency, and others. The Strategic System Planning team
plays an integral part in improving the electric transmission and
distributionsystems to provide for added growth and to improve
reliability while meeting NERC, WECC, and WUTC requirements. The
department focuses on developing long range strategies for electric
system improvements by evaluating both traditional solutions and
The Senior Engineer prepares engineering plans, designs,
specifications, standards, cost estimates, system studies, and
other such evaluations. This person will provide professional
engineering service and support in the planning, construction,
operation, maintenance, and analysis of PSE distributed energy
resources. This will include knowledge and analysis of the
interconnected transmission system and the applicable NERC
compliance standards. This role will interpret and apply existing
guidelines and engineering principles, practices, and theories
toward the completion of assignments involving a substantial degree
of complexity, with many interrelated elements requiring
considerations not previously encountered. The engineer also works
on project teams, which may include representatives for regional
systems external to PSE, to support the successful completion of
projects designed to reinforce the energy delivery or power
generation systems. Work on assignments is also performed with the
goal of growing the engineers' technical and managerial knowledge
about PSE processes and systems.
We are looking for someone that is highly motivated, willing to
take on new challenges, be innovative, and has demonstrated
experience working with electric power system simulation, analysis
of new technologies, familiarity with NERC Standards, and working
on complex engineering projects. The ideal candidate has utility
experience performing alternatives analysis with energy storage and
distributed energy resources for transmission and distribution
projects, performing engineering and economic analysis, and
experience with energy storage applications.
- Responsible for analyzing non-wire alternatives to address
transmission and distribution system capacity and reliability
- Work with Transmission Planners and Distribution Capacity
Planners to develop powerflow and dynamic models for non-wire
alternatives and perform power system studies utilizing PowerWorld
and Synergi modeling software.
- Verify that an alternative fulfills an identified need in
coordination with Transmission Planners and Distribution Capacity
Planners, with the consideration that proposed alternatives may be
a hybrid of DER and conventional solutions.
- Plan and develop project budgets with appropriate
- Perform cost/benefit analysis and identify risks/challenges for
- Identify and evaluate modeling and economic analysis tools to
drive efficient analysis.
- Develop processes to identify which value streams require
hourly profile data for 8760 analysis to sufficiently value the
cost and benefits for alternatives.
- Perform 8760 studies and analysis.
- Prepare complex studies and analyses, develop recommendations,
prepare reports and presentations, and clearly communicate
technical information to both technical and non-technical
- Collaborate with other internal groups, such as project
management, engineering, operations, load forecasting, contracts,
real estate, land planning, communications, etc. to evaluate,
develop, and execute projects.
- Review design and documentation to ensure compliance with
planning criteria and standards. Assignments involve a substantial
degree of complexity, with many interrelated elements, requiring
considerations not previously encountered.
- Prepare cost estimates for project evaluations and document
project need, benefit, and justifications with minimal direct
- Interpret requirements and application of company and industry
standards, guidelines, and methods. Modify available guidelines for
application to existing problems or processes.
- Supports emergency response work as requested, including
immediate and extended restoration efforts driven by weather and
other system failures.
- May coordinate the work of engineering assistants, technicians,
or others who assist in specific assignements (including
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil or
other appropriate engineering field
- Substantial experience in planning, design, specification
preparation, maintenance, project cost estimating and scheduling
(typically achieved after 8years' practice as a degreed
- Demonstrated organization, documentation, prioritization, and
project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Masters degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Experience working in the utility industry.
- Possession of or ability to acquire a Professional Engineering
- Knowledge of engineering economics and analysis.
- Experience working on complex engineering projects.
- Experience with electric power flow models.
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they
need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving
Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy
started in 1873. Today we're building the Northwest's energy future
through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs
and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them
opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that
includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive
bonuses, comprehensive benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement
pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment
opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status
or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable
accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential
functions of the job. Should you have a disability that requires
assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application
process, please contact the Human Res
Keywords: Puget Sound Energy, Bellevue , Distributed Energy Resource Planner, Other , Bellevue, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!