I&C System Engineer
Posted on: January 24, 2023
TITLE: I&C System Engineer
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue,
Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living
standards globally through a more affordable, secure and
environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with
innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006,
TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded
visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising
living standards around the world. They recognized energy access
was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities
and decided that the private sector needed to take action and
create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment.
TerraPower's mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear
technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the
nuclear field. As a result, the company's activities in the fields
of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant
innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid
energy and medical applications - all for significant human health
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking
professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear
reactor research and development and influencing change within the
nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical
production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed,
national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or
local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has
instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to
proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled
persons and veterans.
I&C System Engineer
TerraPower, LLC. Is seeking a highly motivated I&C System
Engineer. This position reports directly to the System Design
Manager. In this role, you will act as I&C Engineer for Sodium
Fast Reactor technologies, including responsibility for the
instrument and control system design, prototype development and
testing, plant level system integration, and commissioning. Your
role will include interfacing with a team of scientists and
engineers internal and external to TerraPower. You will also
identify, specify, and integrate custom instrumentation with
advanced control systems for Generation IV advanced nuclear reactor
- Responsible for interfacing and supporting geographically
diverse and international design team members to develop supporting
design documentation. The design team members include in-house and
subcontracted resources and may include partner/customer resources
- Lead in the design of I&C and supporting electrical systems
from systems and sub-system functional requirements through final
- Develop and review system- and component-level specifications
and scopes of work.
- Perform engineering and design evaluations in the application
of nuclear codes and standards, licensing requirements, and NRC
- Provide technical direction and guidance to engineers in
applicable nuclear and non-nuclear related design standards.
- Specify and describe suitability of instrumentation measurement
techniques for use in sodium fast reactor and integrated energy
storage technologies, including analysis of measurement range,
response time, and measurement accuracy.
- Analyze and apply regulatory criteria and standards to complex
Instrumentation and Control system design.
- Develop and review technical design documents, such as System
Requirements Documents, System Design Descriptions, Interface
Control Documents, Engineering Design Specifications, etc.
- Create and manage drawing packages of system and sub-system
designs, including but not limited to P&IDs, control system
architecture drawings, control logic and loop diagrams, and
instrument installation drawings, etc.
- Generate integrated design package for key systems and
- Provide technical direction and oversight of supplier projects,
working with the contract administrator to ensure delivery of data
and other deliverables to meet TerraPower requirements, as well as
coordination and performance of technical reviews of
- Support continuous learning and application of nuclear industry
best practices in order to maintain the highest quality of
engineering design and proactively identify process
- Integrate I&C with work of other disciplines, engineers,
scientists, and subject matter experts.
- Interface with and support licensing activities associated with
Safety Analysis Reports.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- M.S. or higher in Controls, Electrical, or related discipline
from an accredited university and 15+ years (12 with Masters or 8
with PhD) direct experience with proven instrumentation and
controls systems skills.
- Candidates must have experience in instrumentation and controls
development, diagnostics, and a demonstrated ability to design and
deliver industrial I&C platforms and report data
- Previous experience with nuclear reactor safety systems or
nuclear instrumentation systems design desired.
- Familiar with IEEE 379, IEEE 603, IEEE 7-4.3.2 and IEEE 497, or
equivalent IEC standards strongly desired but not required.
- Familiarity with implementing design control and development in
accordance with nuclear power plant quality assurance (e.g. 10 CFR
50 Appendix B, ASME NQA-1).
- Experience designing and operating high-temperature (400C and
higher) processes desired but not required.
- Ability to handle projects that include many competing
objectives and design constraints, with ability to resolve
conflicts between objectives.
- Familiarity with working with and/or developing industrial
process flow diagrams (PFD) and piping & instrument diagrams
(P&ID) desired but not required.
- Experience with CAD software to deliver design deliverables
(e.g. AutoCAD Standard, AutoCAD Electrical, or SolidWorks), desired
but not required.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to
coordinate and lead a design team's effort with minimal
- Ability to work on multiple simultaneous tasks that require a
- Experience with formal I&C system startup testing procedure
desired but not required.
- Blank sheet to final product design process experience desired
but not required.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust
and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire
to foster teamwork. Will actively support the TerraPower guiding
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined
based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions
associated with the position. These functions may also constitute
essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to
fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below
is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable
understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's
ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions
will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a
case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the
applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to
any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods,
bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to
safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or
sitting working environment of > 8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%
TerraPower's technology is controlled for export by various
agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate
applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees,
or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government
export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower's export
control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application
process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national,
asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the
business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not
consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable
to obtain timely Government export approval.
Salary Range: $179,892 - $258,595
Job Type: Full-time
- Competitive Compensation
- Salary, eligible to participate in discretionary short-term
- Comprehensive Medical and Wellness Benefits Medical
- Life and Disability
- Gender Affirmation Benefits
- Parental Leave
- 401k Plan
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 21 days of annually accrued PTO
- Generous Holiday Schedule
- 10 paid holidays
- Relocation Assistance
- Professional and Educational Support Opportunities
- Flexible Work Schedule
*Typically, our employee salaries are within .90 - 1.0 of the
mid-point of the posted salary band. Any salary offered within the
posted salary band is based on market data and commensurate with
the selected individual's qualifications and experience. This range
is specific to Washington State.
TerraPower Career and Benefits information:
Please visit www.terrapower.com to apply
Keywords: TerraPower, Bellevue , I&C System Engineer, Other , Bellevue, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!